International Thespian Society
International Thespian Society, Troupe #10184
The International Thespian Society (ITS) is an honorary organization for high school and middle school theatre students. The Society’s mission is to honor student achievement in the theatre arts. Students earn induction by participating in an affiliated school’s theatre program and accumulating points based on the quality and quantity of their work in theatre. High school inductees are known as Thespians and middle school inductees are known as Junior Thespians. The ITS has inducted more than 2.3 million theatre students since its founding in 1929. (Taken from the ITS Handbook)
Who can join?
Students involved in any Holy Trinity drama production earn points for their efforts and in relation to the role that they played. The stage crew and other backstage technicians also earn points toward the society. Once a student has earned at least ten points (for high school) or five points (for middle school), they are eligible for induction.* (New students to Holy Trinity may transfer points from their previous school’s productions toward the society, but at least half the points must be earned at Holy Trinity.) Ten/five points are equal to approximately two HTCCS productions.
*Students in grades 6th-8th, who have already participated in previous HTCCS productions during their middle school years may already be eligible for membership as Junior Thespians!
**Students in grades 9th-12th, who have already participated in previous HTCCS productions during their high school years may already be eligible for membership as Thespians!
Benefits of Thespian induction
Membership in the only international honor society for high school theatre arts students—a recognized demonstration of achievement and a valuable addition to college and employment applications. See more.
Members also receive…
- An official Thespian induction pin
- A personalized membership certificate and membership card
- Log-in access to his or her member homepage and a variety of online benefits
- A one-year (nine issues) subscription to the print edition of Dramatics magazine (a $30 value). They may also renew at a special member rate. ($15 as of 8/1/15).
- Log-in access to Dramatics Digital from induction through the year following graduation
- A bumper sticker that reads: Proud parent of a theatre arts honor student
- Special member pricing on theatre books and digital media through the online EdTA Store
- Thespian-level access to the Theatre Education Community
- Leadership opportunities at the troupe, chapter, and national levels
- Eligibility for scholarships, grants, and awards through EdTA and its chapters. See schooltheatre.org/ags.
- Eligibility to audition at the Thespian Festival for admission to college theatre programs, submit original plays to the Thespian Playworks program, audition for chapter Individual Events programs and qualify for the National Individual Events Showcase (NIES). See schooltheatre.org/festival.
- Eligibility to receive additional Thespian honors, including graduation and honor items, advancement through Thespian honor ranks, and Thespian scholar distinction.
What does it cost?
To be inducted, once all points have been earned, a one-time due of $35.00 is to be paid. This is a one-time due (good for all years 9-12 on one payment). Payment comes with a certificate of induction, a ceremonious pin, and a membership card to the Society. It also enables the student to be eligible for all benefits of the Society, from events to professional development opportunities, and consideration for scholarships.
For Junior Thespians:
To be inducted, once all points have been earned, a one-time due of $17.00 is to be paid. This is a one-time due (good for all years 6-8 on one payment). Payment comes with a certificate of induction, a ceremonious pin, and a membership card to the Society. It also enables the student to be eligible for all benefits of the Society, from events to professional development opportunities, and consideration for scholarships.*
*When Junior Thespians enter high school, at least 5 points earned during middle school will be applied to their high school thespian points.
"Man will become better when you show him what he is like."
- Anton Chekhov