The Grammar School at Holy Trinity Classical Christian School is comprised of grades Kindergarten-2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th.
Grammar school as a whole reinforces the important academic and social skills that are developed early on in Kindergarten-2nd grades:
- quality written work completed in a timely manner
- legible penmanship and accurate spelling
- speed and accuracy in arithmetic
- reading comprehension and vocabulary acquisition
- memorization of poetry and Scripture
- appropriate classroom behavior
- discipline and self-control
- good manners and respect for adults and classmates
Students learn from well-designed materials, high quality content, and teacher-directed lessons.
Classrooms are quiet, disciplined, and orderly, creating an engaging environment that encourages deep learning.
Students are motivated to work and learn because they are led by knowledgeable, enthusiastic teachers.
Students work hard and are rewarded every day with breaks for physical exercise at recess, music, drawing, art, and review games.
Students in grades 3-6 are carefully prepared for the reading of classic literature and history, and for advanced mathematics and science which begin in the Upper School in 7th grade.
For the traditional curriculum
- For English literature, spelling, and mathematics, the Mennonite publisher, Rod and Staff, produces traditional textbooks that provide uncluttered pages and clear instructions.
- The science curriculum develops the observational skills that lie at the heart of the scientific endeavor. Students study constellations, the solar system, invertebrates, insects, vertebrates, birds, plants, and tree identification.
- The very best in English literature and poetry are taught in depth using Memoria Press study guides.
- In Geography students focus on states, capitals, and world geography in grades 3-5, and American history in grade 6.
For the classical curriculum
- Latin – Students memorize the complete Latin grammar and a Latin vocabulary of about 800 words.
- Classical Studies/History – Students study Greek myths and Greek, Roman, and Medieval history.
- Christian Studies/Bible – Students learn all major Bible stories and memorize more than ninety of the most memorable and poetic verses of the King James Bible.
All lessons are teacher directed. Students are given ample time to complete classroom assignments, which are carefully monitored so that students learn to do quality written work in a timely fashion.
All material is covered carefully in class. Students in grades 3-6, who are attentive and work diligently in class, should have no more than 30-45 minutes of homework each night.
Homework at Holy Trinity is not just written work, it practicing recitation, learning flashcards, memory work, etc.
Students also have minimal homework on Wednesdays, as many students participate in youth programs at their respective churches.
Please see a Day in the Life to experience the grammar school routine at Holy Trinity Classical Christian School.
If you would like additional information about the Grammar SCHOOL curriculum at Holy Trinity Classical Christian School, please contact Lower School Principal, Lori Hinson.